Discipleship Grant Application
Please note: Spring 2020 grant cycle has been cancelled
The Trellis board is canceling this spring’s Discipleship Grant disbursement cycle (the April 17 application due date). Trellis will resume our regular granting cycle this fall when applications are due November 1.
Our fiscal year end is May 31, so our first granting cycle each year is in November and remaining funds are distributed the following spring. Trellis already granted $69,271 in November 2019, more than our standard 3.5% disbursement amount for this fiscal year.
Several current grant recipients have postponed their initiatives due to COVID-19, and their grant awards will be available when the projects resume. Canceling this spring grant cycle will allow our Canadian Covenant churches and ministries to plan future discipleship initiatives with more information about what public health measures will be in place beyond this spring.
The Trellis board is praying for the ECCC family and has been inspired by our churches’ creativity in responding to the challenges of the current situation. “Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or imagine. Glory to him in the church and in Christ Jesus through all generations forever and ever! Amen.” Eph. 3:20-21
How to apply for a Trellis Foundation Discipleship Grant
- Download the Discipleship Grant Application PDF by clicking the button at right and read it carefully.
- Read our purpose and core values, our funding criteria, and our helpful tips for your proposal, along with this example of a successful application.
- Refine your plans and budget for your proposed initiative.
- Complete the Application PDF (its fillable fields can be completed on a computer with Adobe Acrobat Reader). Make sure to edit for grammar and spelling. This is important as grants are highly competitive. Your proposal should demonstrate that you have made an effort to put the best application forward. There will be an opportunity to receive feedback on your application (see below).
- If your version of Acrobat Reader will not allow you to save the PDF once the form fields are completed, here’s a work-around: click on File, then Print, and then click the print dialog/print destination/or print options box and select Adobe PDF (instead of a physical printer) or Save as PDF as the destination. Rename the file when prompted. (This will also work if you’ve accidentally filled in the form in your internet browser window.)
- Answer the questions for your proposed initiative in a separate document using word processing software.
- Get feedback on your proposal from those who will be involved and from your church’s/organization’s leadership.
- When you are finished your proposal, have your church/organization chairperson and pastor/director review the document and sign the 2nd page of the Application PDF.
- Check that everything is completed, scan the signed 2nd page, then email the Application PDF and your proposal document (including your budget) to:
We prefer emailed submissions. You may also send your application by mail to Trellis Foundation, 245 Brent Blvd, Strathmore, AB T1P 1W4.
Our application deadline is November 1st of each year (and usually May 1st). We want to help you articulate your proposal clearly and plan it intentionally. This helps your initiative to bear the most fruit in your community and facilitates our board’s decisions about granting funds. We will offer feedback in that first week after the deadline, in case an application needs clarification. You’ll have an opportunity to submit a revised grant application in the following week. We’re eager to offer coaching and feedback along the way at any stage of the process, too!
Our fiscal year begins June 1 of each year. If funds remain available after the fall granting cycle, a second granting cycle will be held in the spring with a deadline of May 1 of that fiscal year. Sign up to be on our email list or like us on Facebook to be updated on funds available for that potential second granting cycle.
If there are enough successful applications in the November cycle such that all the funds available for the current financial year are disbursed, then grants will not be available for a spring cycle. The granting disbursement will be 3.5% per year (the disbursement amount required by the CRA) as the funds are to be kept in perpetuity.
Read about our funding criteria…
See our helpful tips for your application…